St. Paul’s Cemetery

Check-in Icon

Check-in

Overview

Land for this cemetery was acquired by the primarily Irish congregation of St. Paul Parish in 1877. The cemetery was expanded in 1898 when the church acquired the property of the closed rope walk. A formal entry was created on Hersey Street where entrance pillars were built in 1898 by Irish immigrant stone mason, John Moriarty, who emigrated in 1875. John, his wife Mary Thompson, and her brother Daniel, also a stone mason, lived on Elm Street at the time of the 1900 census.

Visit Irish immigrant family monuments in the older portion of the cemetery (left rear corner of the cemetery.) One notable example: the Crowe family monument.

The Crowe family story is typical of the Irish immigrants who made Hingham their home.

  • John Crowe was born in the County of Tipperary in 1815. He arrived in Boston on the 7th of December 1847. A month later he came to Hingham. John worked as a moulder, first making hollowware at the Hingham Malleable Iron Company on the Weir River. When that foundry was destroyed in a fire, John, still a foundryman in the 1880 census, most likely then worked at the Howard Foundry, originally the Eagle Iron Foundry, just a short walk away at Hingham Harbor.
  • John’s wife Ann Sherry, born in the County of Monaghan in 1828, also arrived in 1847. By 1850 Ann was working for the Whiton family in Hingham as a servant. Ann was an example of the single Irish women with little formal education who emigrated independently and found work cooking and cleaning.

John and Ann married at a ceremony in Boston on August 1, 1852.